17:07 - The hearing into the "case of Ahtem Chiygoz" completed. The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, September 27. Beginning at 9:30.
14:06 - Hearing into the case of Ahtem Chiygoz resumed. Lawyer Nikolai Polozov reports problems with communication - Ahtem Chiygoz does not see or hear what is happening in the courtroom.
12:53 - The court session adjourned until 14:00.
12:05 - The hearing is ongoing. The next victim - Semiroga Anton Nikolaevich, member of the "people's militia" - is being questioned.
9:36 - Lawyer Nikolai Polozov announced on Twitter the start of the court session on the case of Ahtem Chiygoz. The first victim - Berbenets Sergey, who identified himself as a member of the public Cossack organization "Sobol."
The 18th hearing into the case of Ahtem Chiygoz, the Mejlis Deputy Chairman, is being held in Simferopol today, September 22. He is charged with organizing an unsanctioned rally outside the building of the Supreme Council of Crimea on February 26, 2014.
Yesterday, September 21, the "Chiygoz case" - a trumped-up trial of the Mejlis Deputy Chairman of Ahtem Chiygozom - took another twist after the evidence given by Vladimir Leontiev, the spouse of V.D. Koreneva, deceased at the rally on February 26, 2014. He said he does not blame Ahtem Chiygoz for the death of his wife, lawyer Nikolai Polozov said after the court hearing.
September 13, the Court of Appeals considered the appeal against the division of the "February 26 case". The Deputy Chairman of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people Ahtem Chiygoz, as well as Mustafa Degermendzhi and Ali Asanov, accused of the riots outside the building of the Supreme Council of Crimea on February 26, 2014, did not attend the hearing personally. Yet again they give their evidence via video communications. The judges refused to grant the prosecutor's and the lawyers’ appeals. The "February 26 case" will be considered separately onward.
As QHA reported earlier, the Deputy Chairman of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people Ahtem Chiygoz cannot attend the hearings on his case due to the discriminatory rules on the defendant’s remote participation in the first instance trials. This is the first time Russia has applied such judicial practice.
According to the lawyer Nikolai Polozov, the government thereby wants to test the use of new law provisions. For example, the ability to disable the broadcast if the defendant delivers speeches the judges do not like (previously Chiygoz had a number of bright performances during the process).
The Crimean "authorities" decided to consider the case of the Deputy Chairman of the Crimean Tatar Mejlis Ahtem Chiygoz separate from the so-called "February 26 case."
Chiygoz has been kept in the Simferopol detention center since the end of January 2015. He is charged with Part 1 of Article 212 of the Russian Criminal Code (‘organizing mass disorder’), which is punishable by a 10-year jail term.
Six persons are charged with involvement in mass riots during a rally held outside the Crimean Supreme Council on February 26, 2014. Three of them, Ahtem Chiygoz, Mustafa Degermenzhi and Ali Asanov, are being held in Simferopol’s pre-trial detention center No.1, while the other three, Eskender Kantemirov, Arsen Yunusov and Eskender Emirvaliyev, have been released on bail and are awaiting trial.