In Simferopol, about a hundred people came to honor the memory of the Crimean Tatars, who died as a result of the Deportation in 1944. Crimean journalist Zair Akadirov reported the details of the event on Facebook.

“Among the gathered were public activists and veterans of the national Crimean Tatar movement, human rights activists, journalists and many others. The participants laid flowers to the memorial stone in the park. We held a prayer service, and also read a poem. Many people came with national symbols like tamga or a flag. Some had funeral ribbons.”

Also Akadyrov also reported on the incident with local "law enforcement officers" and Crimean Tatar portal

“The law enforcement officers were interested in the basis on which the cameraman of the Crimean Tatar portal was shooting the event. This caused discontent of the people. In some cases, it came to a verbal argument between the participants in the action and the officers. After the intervention of the portal's management, as well as the presentation of identity documents by the cameraman, the incident was exhausted. Several dozens of police officers observed the incident.”

According to the journalist, the event lasted about one and a half hours, after which the participants dispersed.

Reference. May 18, 1944 Crimean Tatars deportation began in the Crimea. Soviet power accused the whole nation of cooperation with Nazi Germany during World War II. Thousands of Crimean Tatars were taken to Central Asia. During the trip and the first year of exile more than 30,000 people died from hunger and disease. Crimean Tatars were allowed to return to their homeland in the Crimea only in 1989.

On November 12, 2015, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine adopted a resolution recognizing the deportation of the Crimean Tatars in 1944 as genocide of the Crimean Tatar people. In October 2016 Prosecutor's Office of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea initiated the investigation into the deportation of the Crimean Tatars.
PHOTOS: Zair Akadirov