The consequences of the statement by the Secretary of the Security Council of Russia Nikolay Patrushev that "the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people are plotting sabotage and terrorist acts in the Crimea", may result in a series of arrests of members of the Mejlis and delegates of Qurultay. The Deputy Chairman of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people Akhtem Chiygoz commented on the words of Patrushev to QHA.

On July 9, at a meeting in Sevastopol, Nikolai Patrushev claimed that the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people was involved in the growth of crimes of an extremist nature on the peninsula and it was its "radical leaders" who allegedly expressed readiness for diversions and terrorist attacks.

According to Chiygoz, such statements by Patrushev and other representatives of the Russian authorities are "fueled by manic schizophrenia."

Chiygoz noted that in this connection, an attempt will probably be made to force pro-Ukrainian activists in the Crimea to change the "vector of their views."

“Nobody is immune to Russian repressions in the Crimea. If people are active, then they either disappear, or they are constantly exposed to fines, or criminal cases are brought against them. The invaders have a wide range of repressive possibilities," he said.

Akhtem Chiygoz noted that Deputy Chairman of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people Nariman Dzhelal, who is on the front line of the struggle in Crimea, may be one of the first to fall under the repression.

Commenting on Patrushev's words about the radical moods in the Mejlis, Chiygoz said that "the Mejlis is radically inclined to not allow the Crimea stay under the Russian rule." The Deputy Head of the Mejlis stressed that the return of the Crimea to Ukraine must be bloodless.

Earlier Chiygoz told QHA that the resonance of the "26 February case", pressure from the Ukrainian and international community became the main reason why the occupation court sentenced the defendants to suspended terms.

It should be reminded that in September 2017, Akhtem Chiygoz was convicted in this case and sentenced to 8 years in prison, but a month later, with the assistance of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, was released as part of an exchange for Russians.