Under the pretext of the so-called restoration, the Khan's Palace is being destroyed in Bakhchysarai, the participant of a one-person picket in defense of the Khan's Palace Elmaz Akimova stated in an interview with the human rights organization Crimean Solidarity.

The activist told what encouraged her to go to the picket in front of Han-Sarai on February 25.

According to her, on February 7 she came to Bakhchysarai to see for herself what was happening in the territory of the Khan Palace. She made photo and video shooting and distributed the materials in social networks. However, she decided that this was not enough to preserve the historical and cultural monument of the Crimean Tatars.

“I decided to go to a picket. There were people who supported me, there were those who did not know anything about the restoration. I told them what this so-called restoration was all about, which in fact it is a manifestation of vandalism. Many supported me, many did not know what was happening to the monument of the XVI century,” she said.

Akimova noted that another reason for her to decide on a one-person picket was insufficient coverage of events around the Palace of the Crimean Khans. According to her, the Khan Palace is an important part of the history of the Crimean Tatar people, a heritage that must be preserved.

“We must clearly understand that our ancestors left some heritage for us. And now invaders are trying to steal it from us, remake it, make a new one out of it. We are talking about the monument of architecture of the XVI century. This is our history. And our duty is to take some measures to preserve the Palace of the Crimean khans," she said.

According to her, a one-person picket is a peaceful way of protest, which is allowed by law and gives everyone the right to express their attitude to what is happening.

"This is something that is not punishable by law," she said.

Later, on April 19, another picket was held near the Khan's Palace in Bakhchysarai.

A young man in front of the entrance to Khan-Sarai was holding a poster with the inscription "Stop Vandal". A few minutes later a policeman approached him, after which the picket participant stopped the action.