Deputy Head of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar People Ilmi Umerov said his three-weeks stay in a psychiatric hospital was "a great torture."

You're held in a department of closed type psychiatric clinic with a bathroom in a terrible condition. You constantly contact with people who are really mentally ill, who have been staying here for a long time, for years. This is a method to influence a normal person. It's an execution to spend three weeks in such conditions and it can be called one big torture. One must have a sufficiently strong will power to stand it. Besides, I gave up on food at the clinic, eating only what I was brought from home, and did not take any medicines the staff gave me, Ilmi Umerov told in an interview with Deutsche Welle.

He went on to say that for some time he stayed in the ward alone, but three more people were put in his ward in the last ten days. In addition, Umerov was not allowed to walk in the hospital alone. According to Umerov, the psychiatric examination in the hospital was held in the form of interviews.

Several times a doctor was talking with me, a few times - specially-trained nurses. They were supposed to determine the level of my mental state, whether there are any deviations, said the Mejlis Deputy Head.

September, 7 Ilmi Umerov has been released from a psychiatric hospital after three weeks of forced illegal expertise.

The criminal case against the Deputy Chairman of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people Ilmi Umerov was launched at the request of the so-called Public Prosecutor’s Office of Crimea. The prosecution alleges that in March 2016, Umerov being in the territory of Ukraine, publicly called to "violate the territorial integrity of Russia" during his live interview with ATR TV Channel.

August 18, FSB officers - before the entry of the court decision into force - illegally transferred Umerov from the hospital to a psychiatric clinic, taking away vital medication and allowing him to see his family in a strictly specified time.